We always seek to recruit the very best candidate for any role within the firm and we genuinely welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds. Where needed, we will provide ‘reasonable adjustments’ and we always aim to give appropriate support to members of our staff to assist them to flourish in their role and career.
In Summer 2015, we conducted a survey on the diversity of our staff in accordance with SRA guidelines and the results were fed-in to the SRA’s survey of the profession in September 2015. The survey asked questions about the ‘protected characteristics’ in the legislation, such as gender, race, age, sexual orientation, religion and disability, but also sought to understand the social background of those working in the legal profession, with additional questions on caring responsibilities and education.
Of our staff, around 100 were invited to take part and we were pleased that 81 chose to respond. This gave us a valuable insight on the make-up of our firm and helped us to identify areas of under-representation.
Whilst we wish to share some of the results of the survey, we are very mindful that we must not disclose sensitive information about any individuals within the firm. However, you may be interested to know the following facts about Emsleys Solicitors:
- 50% of our directors are women
- 41% of our fee earning staff are men
- 20% of our staff are over 55 and 23% are under 35 years of age
- 59% of our staff identified themselves as being ‘Christian’
- 93% of our staff went to state schools
- 22% of our staff were in the first generation of their family to go to university
- 40% of our staff are a carer of a child or children under 18
- 21% of our staff provide care to another person due to their long-term ill health, disability or age.