Legal Aid - Funding Options for Divorce & Separation
You may be in receipt of a low income and/or benefits and struggling to meet your daily expenses. If this is the case, you may be unable to afford legal fees to help you with divorce, separation, issues relating to your children, domestic violence and/or financial issues.
How we can help…
Since 2014, Legal Aid is available if you are in receipt of a low income from earnings and/or benefits and if you do not have more than £8,000 in savings. Your situation must also fall into one of the following:
- Either you or your children are suffering, have suffered or are at risk of suffering domestic abuse or violence
- Your children are at risk of being abducted, or have been abducted
- You are being forced into marriage against your wishes
- Court proceedings are being issued by the Local Authority in respect of your children
- You would like to resolve your issues through family mediation
Legal Aid is not always free. You may have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your legal fees and it may be repayable in some circumstances where you recover property or funds.
We understand that it can be complicated to work out if you are eligible for Legal Aid and you may require help urgently.
You may need documents to support your application for Legal Aid – our team can help you with this. We adopt a flexible approach to working with our clients, with services available at a time and place to suit you. We communicate clearly without legal jargon and, if required, a member of our team is a Punjabi speaker.
Our specialist solicitors are all members of Resolution, a national organisation of family lawyers committed to practising family law in a way which is constructive, child focused, preserves dignity and reduces acrimony.
Contact us now