Couples can now convert their civil partnership into same sex marriage

Same sex marriage came into force in England and Wales on 29th March 2014 and in the first three months over 1,400 same sex couples wed.

From 10th December 2014, those in civil partnerships can convert to gay marriage. A marriage certificate will be issued and will show the marriage as existing from the date of the original civil partnership.

There are two options available to those wanting to convert their civil partnership:

  1. Follow a simple process at a register office.
  2. Follow a two stage process where a registrar or their deputy will complete the conversion at a venue to allow family and friends to attend.

Conversions can take place at a wide range of premises, such as stately homes and hotels, as well as some religious premises that are registered for same sex marriages.

If you would like more information, give one of Emsleys' Family Law experts a call on 0113 201 4900 or email

Gabbie  Clasper

Written by

Gabbie Clasper

Head of Family Law

Gabbie has over 20 years’ experience in family law. She has expert knowledge in complex issues including financial aspects following divorce; pre and post-nuptial agreements; cases with an international element; and civil partnerships. Gabbie is regularly instructed by clients based across the country and abroad. She...

Back to Blog