How do you get a divorce without a solicitor?

Divorcing without a solicitor

The Government have introduced an online system for those who wish to divorce without using a solicitor. 

You will need a photocopy/photograph of your marriage certificate to upload.  This must be on a single sheet and be clearly legible showing the serial number and all four corners.  You will also need the Court fee of £593.00 or to apply for help with fees online.  If you receive certain benefits eg universal credit, you will be exempt from payment of the fee.

When you start divorce proceedings, your husband/wife will receive a letter from the Court with a passcode to log on to the Court portal and respond to the divorce.  They can respond electronically.  The Court will notify you when your husband/wife has responded and will send prompts as to what you should do next.

If you:

  • anticipate that your husband/wife will not co-operate,
  • or you don’t have your marriage certificate
  • or the whereabouts of your husband/wife are not known
  • or your husband/wife lives abroad
  • or you have financial issues to deal with
  • or you married abroad and your marriage certificate is not in English

You may experience difficulties with the online Court portal without a solicitor and you should still consider obtaining some legal advice. 

Get in

If you would like to speak to a member of our team please complete the following form:

  • The Legal 500


    The Legal 500 Leading Firm

    Leading Firm

  • The Legal 500


    The Legal 500 Recommended Lawyer

    Recommended Lawyer

  • Yorkshire Legal Awards 2023



    Personal Injury and Clinical Negligance

  • The Legal 500 2022-23


    The Legal 500 2022-23 UK Leading Firm

    UK Leading Firm

  • Yorkshire Legal Awards



    Private Client Award

  • Modern Law Conveyancing Awards



    Client Care

  • The ESTAS Conveyancer Awards



View all awards