Personal Injury FAQs

We have answered our most frequently asked questions about personal injury below. If you don’t find the information you need please feel free to get in touch and one of our Personal Injury experts will get back to you as soon as we can.

  • One of the common things we get asked is “how do I finance my injury claim?”. Firstly, we operate on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis which means you have nothing to pay if your case is lost. If we win your case, we take our fee in part from the losing party (usually the insurance company) and partly from you. The part payable by you is paid for from the compensation you receive but this is limited to 25% of your award (following changes in the law which were effective from the 1 April 2013).

    If you would like more information, please give us a call on 0113 232 1030.

  • You have 3 years from the date of your accident.

  • Your claim will be submitted to the Defendant who will have a specific timescale to either admit or deny liability. If they admit liability, we simply press on to obtain medical evidence and detail your out of pocket expenses so that a full valuation can be placed with the aim of settling your case.

    If they deny liability, we will obtain full disclosure documentation from the Defendant so that we are able to assess your claim and we will then issue court proceedings.

    Once issued through Court, the case is given a specific timetable by a Judge leading up to an eventual trial.

  • We usually settle a straightforward road traffic accident case within 6-9 months, but workplace accidents and highway slips and trips can take longer. Complex and serious injury cases can take up to several years to settle due to the complexity of the issues involved and the time required to assess the true impact of the injuries. The time frames are also dependent on whether the other side admits or denies liability.

  • We only take on cases where we are confident that we can win the case. We succeed in approximately 85% of cases we take on.

  • It depends on the circumstances of your case, however most defendants prefer to settle out of court.
    Less than 5% of our cases end up before a trial judge.

  • Yes, you can still make a claim. It is useful to keep a note of the exact date and time that your accident occurred together with any other information which may assist, for example, the weather, traffic or workplace conditions (dependent on the type of accident you have had).

    In addition, entries within your medical records can be used as supportive evidence, particularly where treatment was sought immediately after your accident from your GP or at hospital.

  • Yes, but if your injury was so minor as to mean you did not need medical help or advice, this may be a problem.

  • A claim can be made so long as that treatment was necessary and linked to the accident. It is important to keep an accurate record of all expenses that have been incurred such as receipts for treatments you have paid for along with details of where and when treatment was provided.

  • Yes, we will advise you of our requirements specific to your claim.

  • Yes, but if they do, it becomes an unfair dismissal for which you should seek further legal advice. We are happy to put you in contact with our employment law expert who can answer any queries you may have.

  • No, your employer is responsible for the acts of the other employees.

  • As part of the Personal Injury process your solicitor will obtain medical records from your doctor or treating hospital to confirm the injuries that you have sustained. We will then instruct an independent medical professional to examine you with a view to providing a report summarising the circumstances of your accident, the injuries you sustained and treatment received together with any ongoing symptoms and a likely timescale for recovery (where they are ongoing).

    We will review this report in full and then advise whether any further medical evidence or treatment is required. A valuation will be provided at the earliest possible opportunity.

  • Yes, you can still make an injury claim against an employer who no longer exists.

  • When making a personal injury claim for an accident, you will be required to attend a medical appointment as part of the claims process. An independent medical report is needed to provide evidence of the injuries sustained.

    Your lawyer will organise the appointment for you. When attending the examination it is extremely important that you advise the medical expert of any pre-existing illness and symptoms and any previous accidents, no matter how long ago

Get in

If you would like to speak to a member of our team please complete the following form:

  • The Legal 500


    The Legal 500 Leading Firm

    Leading Firm

  • The Legal 500


    The Legal 500 Recommended Lawyer

    Recommended Lawyer

  • Yorkshire Legal Awards 2023



    Personal Injury and Clinical Negligance

  • The Legal 500 2022-23


    The Legal 500 2022-23 UK Leading Firm

    UK Leading Firm

  • Yorkshire Legal Awards



    Private Client Award

  • Modern Law Conveyancing Awards



    Client Care

  • The ESTAS Conveyancer Awards



View all awards