COVID-19: Although our offices are closed until further notice, our teams are still working and can be contacted by phone, email or live chat. Click here for more information.

Do I need a lawyer when marrying abroad?

What better day than Valentine’s Day to write about marrying abroad? If you’re dreaming of a sunnier (or snowier!) location for your nuptials instead of the British Isles, you need to make sure you’re organised in advance.

Foreign countries require different documents in order for you to legally marry or enter into a civil partnership there. You may need to produce documents to prove who you are, your address and your legal right to marry.

You’ll be able to find out what is required if you contact the local authorities in the country in which you intend to marry. You will need to have your documentation ‘notarised’ before you leave the UK for your wedding. This involves a notary public verifying and legalising the requested documents to prove they are correct and authentic.

Our notary public can help you with the legalities of marrying abroad to ensure your wedding plans become a reality. Please contact William Armstrong for a confidential discussion by calling 0113 232 1030 or emailing

Will Armstrong

Written by

Will Armstrong

Notary Public and Personal Injury

Will is a solicitor with over 8 years’ experience. He works within our Personal Injury team, specialising in claims for accidents on the highway. Will has also recently qualified as a Notary Public and can validate documents for international transactions.

Back to Blog

Get in

If you would like to speak to a member of our team please complete the following form:

All fields marked with * are mandatory.