We always seek to recruit the very best candidate for any role within our firm and we genuinely welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds. Where needed, we will provide ‘reasonable adjustments’ and we always aim to give appropriate support to members of our staff to assist them to flourish in their role and career.
In June 2019, we conducted a survey on the diversity of our staff in accordance with the Solicitors Regulation Authority’s guidelines and the results were fed-in to the SRA’s survey of the profession in July 2019. The survey asked questions about the ‘protected characteristics’ in the equalities legislation, such as gender, race, age, sexual orientation, religion and disability, but also sought to understand the social background of those working in the legal profession, with additional questions on caring responsibilities and education.
Our staff of around 100 were invited to take part in the survey and we were pleased that 61 chose to respond. This gave us a valuable insight on the make-up of our firm and helped us to identify areas of under-representation.
Whilst we wish to share some stats* about our firm and some of the results of the survey, we are very mindful that we must not disclose sensitive information about any individuals within the firm. However, you may be interested to know the following about Emsleys Solicitors:
- 25% of our directors are women*
- 22% of our fee earning staff are men*
- 25% of our staff are over 54 and 25% are under 35 years of age
- 51% of our staff identified themselves as being Christians
- 93% of our staff went to state schools
- 5% of our staff consider themselves to have a disability within the meaning of the Equality Act
- 39% of our staff are the primary carer of a child or children under 18
- 10% of our staff provide care to someone due to their long-term ill health, disability or age